The Qantas Group just announced an ambitious plan to remove over 200 million single-use plastic items from their flights and lounges by the end of 2020.
The airline is set to become the world’s first to recycle, reuse and compost at least three-quarters of their landfill-bound waste. The Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce says that they have a responsibility to introduce changes in response to environmental challenges:
“In the process of carrying 50 million people each year, we deal with more than 30,000 tonnes of waste. That’s the same weight as about eighty 747 jumbos. It is quite literally a waste and we have a responsibility to our customers, shareholders and the community to reduce it.”
The Qantas Group is planning to implement sustainable practices across all areas of air travel. The airline will introduce recyclable and compostable coffee cups, switch from paper boarding passes and manuals to digital and limit food wastage by donating and composting food. They also aim to eliminate single-use plastics by switching to more sustainable packaging.
According to the statistics presented by the Qantas group, only 40% waste of their waste is actually generated onboard aircraft. Remaining 60% amounts to waste produced in airport lounges, terminals, food preparation facilities and head office.
The Qantas Group